[MLB-WIRELESS] Who looks after the web site?

Tom Fifield tfifield at melbournewireless.org.au
Mon Oct 13 18:46:32 EST 2008

mw at freenet.net.au wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> More specifically, who looks after the google maps kml export stuff?

coders at melbournewireless.org.au is the place to ask - that'd be Peter,
Tyson, Steve & myself mainly.

> There's a few things I'd really like to talk about :) like:
>
> 1.  how do you get straight lines (altitude) between nodes?  When I loaded
> those kml links into google earth, I was blown away to see that the node
> links do not follow the groaund terrain like normal ruler lines do - so it
> is easy to see when you have p2p line of sight over terrian!  Cool! :)

http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/maps/compare is the link that should
show the straight line on google maps. It doesn't work right now, as
it's trying to call our previous mapserver engine.

Straight-line altitude 'cross sections' is something that we've been
wanting to do for quite some time now, but it's not an easy problem and
we always ran into technical roadblocks in addition to our own time
constraints :)
> 2.  how about extending the layers from two (nodes and links) to more, like:
> active AP nodes, active client nodes, building, testing and interested
> nodes, and links.  That way, when scanning the maps (especially in google
> earth) for potential hook-ups, it would be neat to be able to show only the
> active nodes.

This was indeed how our previous mapserver-based site functioned. Also
on the todo list for the newer release
> 3.  what options do we have to add snmp control to the node database?  Is
> there some api we can use/develop to be able to update state when a node (or
> link) goes off/on line?

Nothing yet, but would not be hard to add a database field here and
there and present an API for this.