[MLB-WIRELESS] Government Internet Filter - What do you think?

Mark Aitken nodegxt at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 10 18:51:48 EST 2008

It is my opinion that the whole content filter issue is being driven my
the Record and Movie lobbyists as a latest attempt to
prevent the rampant peer to peer systems that allow downloading of their
"property" as it is becoming futile to take the world
to court.

As I understand it, it is initially web pages that will be blocked, ie
port 80,  with some port 443 blocking (how do they know
what we are doing if it is secure?????), and will only be a matter of
time before it extends to actual port blocking which also
seems futile as it is a simple matter of having p2p clients negotiate
random ports at the time of connection, and constantly
change these ports as the transfor progresses.

All in all,  I agree with what Tyson said about the government been seen
to be doing something, I also believe that when the smoke
clears what the Australian public will end up with is a optional opt-in
content filter based at their ISP as mandatory filtering will turn
out to be a logistical nightmare and eventually a election issue once
common aussie realize what has happened to their freedom to
be consenting adults.

my 2c worth

Mark