[MLB-WIRELESS] Government Internet Filter - What do you think?

Tyson Clugg tyson at melbournewireless.org.au
Wed Dec 10 00:27:33 EST 2008

Dear Melbourne Wireless,

I'm sure that you've heard about the government plan to filter all internet
traffic, primarily in order to help prevent access to illegal and unwanted
websites by minors.  I am aware that you are probably opposed to the current
proposal, and you may even be attending the rally this Saturday at the State
Library from 12pm until 5pm.  As your president elect, it is my duty to be
the voice of the group as a whole - which is why I have accepted an offer by
rally coordinators to be "up the front" talking to the crowds (and media) at
the rally this Saturday.  It is such an important issue for Melbourne
Wireless that it would be remiss of me not to accept such an offer.

Instead of "preaching to the converted" this Saturday, I will be focusing my
efforts at persuading the general public to support our views through
comments directed at gaining media attention and subsequent coverage on the
evening news.  Furthermore, I shall not be "attacking" the government, and
will not tolerate any members doing so during this debate.  I wish to offer
the government a chance to "save face" by presenting a set of viable
alternatives, instead of engaging in a political slanging match.  The viable
alternatives need to be supplied by people like you.

I need to hear from you regarding this important issue - your thoughts and
ideas as to what I should be saying on behalf of Melbourne Wireless
regarding the various related sub-issues surrounding this whole debate.
More than just "I am opposed to the current plan", but why you are opposed
and what alternatives can be offered in contrast to the current government
proposal.  I need to hear your thoughts on this matter ASAP!

Distinct issues I'd like to hear about include:
 * Internet filtering for minors.
 * Internet filtering for adults.
 * Opt-in compared against opt-out.
 * Self regulation by Internet Service Providers.
 * Censorship of other mediums (eg: TV, magazines).
 * Unwanted versus illegal content.
 * Transparency of filter management.
 * Feasibility of various filtering mechanisms.
 * Effectiveness of various filtering mechanisms.
 * Efficiency of various filtering mechanisms.
 * Economic effects of filtering.
 * Consumer demand for filtering solutions.
 * Government duty of care to protect minors.

As you can see, there are many issues surrounding this debate, I'm sure you
can think of many more as well.   Please reply immediately with your
thoughts, comments and ideas so they may be expressed to the world as
official Melbourne Wireless policy this Saturday.

Sincerely yours,
Tyson Clugg.
President, Melbourne Wireless.