[MLB-WIRELESS] finally a triumph on the northern front !

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Wed May 16 09:09:57 EST 2007

At 09:00 AM 5/16/2007, Rohan Malhotra wrote:
>nah part of the problem is i dont have an openwrt router (still
>researching the best ap/router for my purposes and budget).

Worth hunting around for one.  I must reflash my R100 at some stage too. :)

>part of the idea however was to  learn how to put to use old pcs in
>a functional and useful manner.  what i had in mind was to basically
>have the canopy go into a dedicated pc in my shed so that i could
>run it as a general purpose server for melbwireless and my household.
>
>with this server i hope to run DChubs, emule servers or some sort of
>p2p filesharing server, gamer servers, host websites on the
>melbwireless, try to do voip all that sort of fun stuff. I also want
>to experiment with bandwith throttling, virtual private networks remote admin.
>
>so yeah id like to go the server route to begin with.

It's often better to separate your routing infrastructure from your
servers.  This is especially true with wireless, because you can then
run your routers up a mast using PoE to power them, and the PC can
live safely inside, connected via Cat 5 or wireless to the router.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com