[MLB-WIRELESS] FW: wlan hardware info

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 14:47:12 EST 2007

Keiran sent this to the Committee list, but I'm sure some people here might
have some suggestions...

At the moment, I'd recommend the wl-hdd if you can get one cheap.   Someone
posted a link on the mailing list recently about some very cheap ones at
$49.  I don't think they are available now.  But staticice.com.au will find
the cheapest wl-hdd out there.  The wl-hdd is small and runs OpenWRT - the
OpenWRT web interface should get the thing running in client mode - and
there's always the shell command-line.

The only drawback is that they have a Broadcom radio - not the greatest
radio, but at least you can tune the distance/timing parameter in OpenWRT to
improve your throughput.

If you're willing to experiment, the Meraki Mini (http://meraki.net) will be
fun to play with, and they have a good Atheros radio.  OpenWRT is a little
difficult to install at the moment - but the vendor firmware has a SSH
daemon running, so you can log into it, change things around and install
OpenWRT packages (I think).  If you buy 15 of them from the Meraki website,
they will cost about AU$85 per unit including postage.

Cheers,

Dan