[MLB-WIRELESS] www.freeit.com.au

Nick Slemidis nikolis at netspace.net.au
Sat Jan 27 13:07:17 EST 2007

Dear Group

My name is Nick Selemidis and I live in Mt Cooper estate in Bundoora.
I share the same dream like everyone else in this group: A  Free Wireless
Community.
It sounds great and it is the best thing that can happen in Melbourne.
I have followed Melbourne Wireless periodically and I have been inspired
with the passion
of the users all over Melbourne.
Now I have taken things a bit further.
I have created a company called Wireless Freedom and I have started
installing the infrastructure of a Tropos metro mesh system in my estate. I
have already set 3 points and I run a small web server. In the next few
weeks I'll be getting more points, about 5 or 6 of them.

The network that Melbourne Wireless has created is great but it's based on
homebrew and personal effort and commitment which is great but not enough to
go any further and public so everyone can understand and connect.

The way I think it will is by setting up a professional network and offering
free Internet for all .

I hope I have communicated my commitment to you and at this point I would
like to ask anyone who wants to be a part of this project to contact me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm after people who know about networking, and setting up dhcp web vpn ftp
mail servers and have the time and commitment to dedicate to this project.
There will be a training on the Tropos metro mesh systems so if anyone is
really interested  they should contact me asap.

I'm starting as a company for legal reasons but I'm not able to hire or pay
for any work that will be done for the network. Remember that the whole
project is completely funded from out of my pocket (or rather my mortgage!)

There is a Tropos5210 access point with 2 Omnis at 7.4dbi currently facing
the city on the top of the Mt.Cooper state in Bundoora with some free
Internet access as well. Two out of the three currently active points are
listed in Melbourne Wireless as node IWV
http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/maps/view?id=iwv and JAB
http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/maps/view?id=JAB

If you live in a high wireless traffic area then you could possibly host a
Tropos access point from your roof . This is subject to a signed contract
between the sole owner of the premises and  Wireless Freedom pty ltd. The
points are costly, as you know.

I will keep the newsgroup informed on this project.

I'm not a ISP ,Telstra or Optus. Just a guy with a dream who's sick of
paying for data when it's not necessary.

Nick Selemidis
nikolis at netspace.net.au
0412016059