[MLB-WIRELESS] Public internet access

David Ashburner d_ashburner at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 21 08:58:30 EST 2006

The gist of the letter Steve received is "would we compete with and be
advantaged relative to a commercial provider".

This is a massive loophole that allows them to deny us an exemption.

If we so much as offer anything for free that is an advantage to us for
attracting customers ( who may not take up a contract with a commercial
provider as a result ) and therefore grounds to reject an exemption.

If we charge for anything then we are commercial and don't qualify for
an exemption

catch-22

---snip ----

> As a general rule, carrier license exemptions are only granted in
> exceptional circumstances and where the exemption would not have a
> negative impact on, or would benefit, the long term interested of
> telecommunications users. An important consideration in this regard
> is whether the exempted operator would compete with, and be
> advantaged relative to commercial providers.

---snip ---

> While I appreciate that you consider the service that you provide
> offer community benefits, it would also be offered in competition
> with other licensed operators as a commercial venture. As such, any
> exemption would not be competitively neutral. It is unlikely,
> therefore, that a carrier license exemption would be granted in these
> circumstances.

-- snip ---