[MLB-WIRELESS] noncommercial WISP

Robert Hart robert at air-stream.org
Tue Sep 12 15:01:32 EST 2006

This question has been around since wireless has been around, it been
brought up so many times I can't remember.

If you ask for a payment to recover the cost even at a loss regardless
if it is money, donated equipment or other things in return Internet
access, it is not allowed under the ACMA.

I don't know about others, but I am under the strong option that this
should never really change, for reasons I will not go into now.

Anyone who wants to share Internet shouldbe encouraged, as it is really
great thing to do, but it must be done freely if to comply with ACMA
guidelines.  At least in metropolitan areas, different rules apply to
regional areas where broadband is not available.

If club members want Internet access it is allowable for an Incorporated
non-profit club to make Internet available provided it is at no extra
cost other then their usual membership fee.   The club must also ensure
that the costs of such are correctly recorded in the club accounts to
show evidence that no financial benefit has been gained by the club or
its members.  There must also be no offer or guarantee of an Internet
service as part of membership or as an inducement to join.

There are already plenty of commercial wireless providers out there some
good and some very bad all are scrambling over each other to provide
cheaper Internet over wireless, and their margins are tight.  I say let
them fight for the scraps, thats not what community wireless network is
about.

Community Wireless Networks about finding ways to share IT resources
over a collaborative network overcoming LOS issues for interest, fun or
as a way to contribute to the community.