[MLB-WIRELESS] noncommercial WISP

Rowan 2006 rowan2006 at sensation.net.au
Tue Sep 12 13:11:05 EST 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, gummay.net wrote:

> Odd - they seem be approaching the grey area in a different way since
> the time I last contacted them (in 2004).
>
> Here's the email I received back then:

Actually it's pretty much the same answer - it's the "if you share costs
with your neighbour you are benefiting" part that is the key.

Your next email suggesting redundancy between members could possibly be
considered a similar "shared benefit", since you could potentially have
faster net access by borrowing from others links. :(

BTW I'm speaking with the same person at ACMA. I'm trying a slightly
different scenario where people connecting to the access point are (a) not
obligated to pay anything - it is free, and (b) if they do decide to
donate, it will cover capital equipment purchases only and will benefit
all users, not them specifically.

I guess if people are donating then that also extends an obligation to me
to keep the service running. What if a neighbour's donation helped fund
the purchase of a new AP, and due to unforeseen circumstances I have to
shut it down a week later? I doubt they'd be happy.

I could also do it another way... pay for everything myself now and hope
that within 2-3 years the law will allow me to turn it commercial. :) Or
that some day I can afford to pay for a carrier licence and company
structure, and put up with all the associated paperwork and red tape. :)

Cheers.