[MLB-WIRELESS] arp spoofing

David Ashburner d_ashburner at hotmail.com
Mon May 15 09:19:55 EST 2006

Hi all,

There was an interesting discussion at the meeting last friday about
ARP spoofing and how it is a threat for wireless Nodes.
In a nutshell, it would be possible for a man-in-the middle attack to
make itself appear as the network gateway (access point)  and so
intercept
any traffic between a legitimate client and the real gateway. It could
do this by sending out a lot of unsolicited arp responses and
"poisioning" the ARP cache on all connected machines.

Grant spent some time explaining this to me and also that the people at
WAND Network Research  Group in Nah Zulund had implemented a solution
where all ARP requests and responses get quenched from the network and
the gateway provides the responses from it's DHCP cache.  The software
dhcparpd is available to download but is set up to use a specific API
for communicating with the DHCP server.

I've looked through the code and can make a relatively easy patch to
make it work with the dnsmasq software used on the WRTs.  I'll build a
ipkg with the daemon and iptables rules and we can give it a go.

dna

WAND page:   http://research.wand.net.nz/software/dhcparpd.php