[MLB-WIRELESS] Max distance, Power over ethernet and 5v AP's

Shaun Lee Clarke clarke.shaun.l at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Dec 21 00:09:32 EST 2006

The other option is to run 48V to the AP, and use a splitter at the
other end (just before the AP) to regulate the voltage back down to 12V.
I'm not sure on the length of this method, but I'd assume it would be
pretty good.

Linksys sells such a device for either 5V or 12V devices, and included
the DC adapter, injector and splitter. They are made primarily for
Linksys devices, but I don't see any reason why they won't work on
something different (provided the DC plug fits, but with a new connector
and a soldering iron, that isn't an issue).

http://www.shopbot.com.au/p-19335-283634.html

I've used a few at work for powering WRT54GL's (12V version though), and
they work fine.

If your adventurous enough, I suppose you could build a similar device.

  *Shaun Lee Clarke*
*Mobile:* 0433 559 020

*Alternate Mobile:* 0400 211 386

*Strathmore Secondary College*
Computer Technician
clarke.shaun.l at edumail.vic.gov.au
http://www.strathmore.vic.edu.au
(03) 9379-7999

*Victorian Space Science Education Centre*
Computer Technician
shaun.clarke at vssec.vic.edu.au
http://www.vssec.vic.edu.au
(03) 9379-3456