[MLB-WIRELESS] Gday! New to wireless, connecting to network!

Wil excited at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 01:01:19 EST 2005

Hi All!
Hope all is well, I've read the FAQ and many archives of mailing list and I
think I'm ready to ask a few questions!

I've entered node: JDR (http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/maps/view?id=JDR)
into the system, and its told me of a few locations that are close to me
that I could connect to.

First of all, I can see the little green line (which I assume means an
active connection), and I'm only about 1km away from it. That means I need
to find a node connected to the existing network to connect to (which is
about 3km away). How hard would this be? Would the WRT54G router and this
antenna (
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Outdoor-Parabolic-Wireless-LAN-antenna-21dbi-gain_W0QQitemZ5834296261QQcategoryZ61816QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
)
do the trick?

I'm up a couple of stories, so I have some height.

Also, just interested, but if I got myself an antenna, and just sat on the
balcony and moved it around, would that result in seeing (and being able to
communicate with) more networks in my immediate area?

Thanks for your help!