[MLB-WIRELESS] The Linksys WRT54G era comes to an end.

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Sun Nov 27 15:42:17 EST 2005

Most of you would be familiar with myself and others in the group
pimping the Linksys WRT54G/GS routers as great little boxes for doing
what we want to do with wireless. For the most part, they have been
great.

As with all good things though, it must come to an end. The latest
revision of the Linksys WRT54G/GS is NOT capable of running OpenWRT
(which made them so great). It looks like the new ones (version 5 and
above) will be running a custom VXWorks firmware and not capable of
running OpenWRT due to severe lack of resources.

There are still companies who are making equipment based on the old
WRT54G/GS hardware, however these are usually not as commonly available.

If you are looking to get something to run OpenWRT, I suggest that
you take note of the revisions of hardware table at:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

Most of the units that I have seen now for sale are version 5. I
highly recommend to stay clear of these devices if you wish to try
OpenWRT or customising your hardware.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au