[MLB-WIRELESS] File sharing over 2 x WRT with WEP

Guy Weymouth guy_vid at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 4 22:32:48 EST 2005

On 4/5/05 10:00 PM, "David Ashburner" <d_ashburner at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> File sharing over 2 x WRT with WEPI don't know how the alchemy firmware
>> treats the WAN port, but under normal firmware you can't connect it to an
>> existing network with the WAN port. but that's all I can offer atm.
>>

> Yes you can, though there are some side effects.  In this configuration what
> it will be doing is performing NAT between anything on it's LAN & wireless
> ports and the existing LAN. It will also firewall the wrong way - anything
> on your wireless side can get into the  existing LAN and if you want to
> initiate anything from the existing LAN you will be restricted to port
> forwarding to only one address per port.

I don't quite get that, but what's the alternative?

>>   I want that main Linksys to point to the other location where there is
>> no
>> internet. So the second location‚s Linksys needs to be configured with DHCP
>> server enabled so if the link between the second and first location is
>> lost,
>> both locations‚ workstations will still be able to obtain IP addresses and
>> print to the local printer, etc.
>>
> You could have DHCP on at both ends and serve different address ranges (
> like 50-100 at main and 101-150 at second)

Well I could but any workstations will connect to the "Main" Linksys via
wireless or one of the 4 ports, but ultimately get an IP from the existing
DHCP server on the existing network (which is connected to the WAN port on
the "Main" linksys). So why would I want DHCP on the Linksys as well?

>>   Problems:
>>   - I can't file share with wireless security enabled. If I turn on WEP or
>> WPA Pre-shared key, I try to connect over standard file sharing and it just
>> doesn‚t connect. I can get net access and ping between locations so they
>> are
>> talking... It just doesn‚t like file sharing. Why so?
>>
> Sorry can't help here. The file sharing works ok without WEP?

Yeh, file sharing works fine without security. But with WEP or WPA, if I
connect directly to the "Main" linksys or via the existing network which is
connected to the "Main linksys, I can't file share with a workstation
wirelessly or directly connected to the "Second" linksys.

>>   - If I physically plug into the „Main‰ router, it gives me an IP address
>> (192.168.20.x ˆ provided by the Second router) but gives me a gateway of
>> 192.168.20.2 (and it should be .20.1). This results in an inability to get
>> web access because the gateway is wrong. How do I fix that?
>>
> This is because when you get the DHCP address you get a bunch of other
> goodies with it, like the default gateway etc.  You could over come this
> with a DHCP server at both ends,you may get both trying to serve you
> addresses but the DHCP requestor will accept on and reject the others. It
> should get the local one first (unless something is very wrong).

Yeh, I've tested that and it does work. It's not really a big issue because
if I connect to the existing network, I get the right IP and default gateway
and I don't really intend on connecting any workstations directly into the
"Main" linksys anyway... It's just a problem if you want to connect directly
to administer the router and while you're there reference something on the
internet - you can't. So, I guess DHCP on both routers would solve this.

> Your using WDS, so will you have both local wireless clients and do your
> links with the same wrt/radios?  WDS sucks big time if you are sending stuff
> across the link, you cut you available bandwidth in half because each packet
> you send in has to go out again through the same radio.

I can't get it to work without WDS. How can I set it up without using WDS?