[MLB-WIRELESS] WRAP kits - Bulk Buy expressions of interest sought!

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 22 12:53:01 EST 2005

OK then, I guess I should do a whip-around to see what level of interest
there is in a bulk-buy for these items.

I will organise a bulk-buy and the shipping if we get enough interest.  I
will not add any charges myself - I will pass on any and all bulk savings on
to the buyers.

If you are interested in buying a:

WRAP.2C embedded router board
(http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.19/it.A/id.298/.f)

with an

WRAP-BOX 2A1E Outdoor Case
(http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.19/it.A/id.330/.f)

please email me privately at:

dflett_at_bigpond_dot_net_dot_au

I'm simply gauging interest at this point - if you want one of these boards,
just tell me - we will talk price later, once the level of interest is
known.  As Paul from Yarrawa says in his post below, these items won't be
available for a couple of months yet.

If you'd like extra accessories such as...

* MiniPCI wireless cards
* Antennas
* PoE injectors (fairly important when using an outdoor case!)
* CompactFlash cards (specify size)
* Anything else

..please tell me, so I can determine if it's worthwhile including them in
the bulk-buy.

I'm particularly interested in hearing people's comments on the CometAntenna
SF-245 7.4dBi Omni antenna with integral N-Male connector.
http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=2&famID=15&childID=24
I like them for said N-Male connector that allows them to screw straight
onto the WRAP box.  They are higher gain than the 5.5dBi omni antennas
http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.19/it.A/id.310/.f you'd normally
get with a WRAP, but a fair bit more expensive.  I've seen the SF-245 for
US$59, and the 5.5dB antennas for US$12.50 - so you're paying a fair bit
more for that extra 1.9dB.  The 5.5dBi antennas are listed as having a VSWR
of less than 2.0:1, the 7.4dBi is listed with a less than 1.5:1 VSWR - I
have tested one of these on David Smith's return-loss meter and it is more
like 1.1:1 VSWR which is very good - I will be interested to see how the
5.5dBi antennas stands up to testing.  Another thing: the CometAntenna also
looks rather schmik. ;)  But if we start seeing decent, cheap 400mW (26dB)
miniPCI cards soon then the CometAntenna may become less attractive except
to those who really want to ramp up their power output.  (I'm not doing a
good job of selling this thing, am I? hehe)

I keen to see Yawarra succeed, but I'm mindful that non-profit Community
Wireless groups can't afford huge volume purchases to get prices down to an
acceptable level.  In fact, a group like Melbourne Wireless can't afford to
make volume purchases of anything for resale to it's members so purchases
and bulk-buys are organised privately.  On the other hand Community Wireless
groups in Australia can definitely play a role in popularising embedded
router boards like the WRAP and demonstrate their effectiveness and
reliability to commercial users.  This in turn creates more business for
Yawarra, which in turn makes things cheaper for everyone.

I also am mindful that the do-it-yourself spirit is the heart and soul of
Community Wireless, so I don't see these WRAP kits to be a replacement for
people building their own nodes and antennas.  Rather I them as enabling
participation for a wider section of the population who believe in the
ideals of Community Wireless are keen to pay up-front for a set-and-forget
routing node.  This in turn creates a larger, better network for the
"do-it-yourself-ers" to play with.

Paul, I'm glad you've taken up the challenge to meet a certain price point.
I'll see if I can generate enough interest to get pricing to a mutually
acceptable level.  I want to help to get this ball rolling.

Cheers,

Dan