[MLB-WIRELESS] Internet Access

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Mon Jun 27 21:22:11 EST 2005

At 09:03 PM 6/27/2005, David Ashburner wrote:

>Ah, I think what Dan is refering to is MW establishing a fast link to the
>internet that can be accessed via the MW network. Not sharing our private
>conections.

Maybe..

>The interesting point being that if  we operated within the guidelines it
>may be possible for us to turn of our direct ISP connections and all
>access the Internet  via the MW fast connection.

Well, for me, that wouldn't be the case, as I have specific needs that
can't be met by a shared (especially if NAT'd) connection.

>Setting up that fast connection would probably cost a bit but that could
>be covered by  increased subscriptions or donations - as long as MW is not
>making "profit" on the service it is providing.
>
>Gee - if we were able to do that and meshed up enough to make the network
>reliable then I woul d be willing to put the $$ I spend on an ISP into MW
>instead.
>
>Perhaps MW members could receive one level of service and casual users a
>different one. Casual users would be getting a free service but would be
>encouraged to become members to receive a higher level of service ( as in
>casal can say, send and receive email  and do limited web browsing, while
>subscribers could do anything / uncapped within reason ).

Well, my main need from a MW internet connection would be the ability to
pop in and send/receive email (I need SSH outbound access to do this,
because of my specific setup).  Maybe occasional web browsing as well, but
certainly nothing huge.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com