[MLB-WIRELESS] so what's with the wiki spam?

Tom Fifield gummay at gummAY.net
Sun Jan 30 19:17:06 EST 2005

Here's info we've gathered about it so far;

It's a (or several) human(s). How?
- Our wiki is very customised, a bot would have to be custom-coded for
our wiki to work
- Communication has been made with a couple of the spammers, who replied
intellegently (albeit in Chinese)

They're Chinese-based, but blocking chinese IPs from the site would be
time & resource consuming, and is often found to be in-effective (i.e.
My IP address with Netspace sometimes turns up as Chinese on some websites)

They are using many email addresses from a few different providers,
including a few that we cannot block due to them being common webmail
services used by other members.

We've already taken steps to combat the problem. New tools have been
added for Admins, and Tyson has implemented and continues to develop an
intelligent filtering scheme for the user signup process. Work on the
wiki itself has been started.

If you see a spammer before us, just shoot an email off to
coders at melbournewireless.org.au, and if you feel like staying around for
the cleanup effort if it comes to that, please do so!

Cheers,

Tom