[MLB-WIRELESS] MelbourneWireless Router Project

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 4 15:19:03 EST 2005

>Where do I signup ?

I'm planning to build a few of these units myself.  The sum of the parts
will cost, at a very rough approximation, between $450 and $500, including
pigtails but not including other cables, antennas or mast.  I've been
looking at the cost of setting up a node using various different methods,
and it turns out that doing it this way (with a WRT54G and another AP in a
box up a mast) is actually cheaper than putting PCMCIA cradles and wireless
cards in an old Pentium PC running Linux.

>Or more seriously, as an idiot, I'm happy to test the
>unit/kit to make sure its idiot proof.

Cool.  The hardware and software developments will proceed in a paralell
manner, but I guess we need some working hardware first before we can
properly develop idiot-proof software!

The first software package I see being developed is a simple 'master'
OpenWRT package that downloads and configures other existing OpenWRT
packages.  This will mostly be command-line driven, but should be pretty
simple.  Then we can look at modifying or adding to the OpenWRT
"interface-wrt" web-interface package.  I probably won't be able to do that
myself too quickly, so I'll be looking for help to do this.

>Happy to buy said unit etc....

Cool!  Happy to sell one to you. :)  My whole motivation for doing this is
to create a basic "building-block" router for the Melbourne Wireless network
to make routing on the network easy.  I'm interested in helping to build the
network, not making money.  So in the short-term I'm not expecting to profit
in any way from this, and I'll proably never charge a mark-up on any of the
hardware I sell to community network people.  I may at some point sell it as
a kit and charge for assembly though.  Assuming it's popular in the first
place...

Cheers,

Dan