[MLB-WIRELESS] I'm ready to make 4 points in Camberwell happen

David Ashburner d_ashburner at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 11 02:11:08 EST 2005

You are almost there,

Didn't see you at the meeting in November, come to the one tonight and say
"Hey I'm the dude  who want's to put 4 nodes in Camberwell" - you will get
all the help you need

see comments in-line

cheers,
dna

>Here are the nodes with suggestions / thoughts to date:
>
>Node 1: Church where I put an antenna on the spire. Central Server to be
>stored at Church for other nodes to access.
>Antenna: 24 dBi Grid antenna pointing to node 2, 3, and 4
>AP: Linksys WRT54
>Cable: 15m LDF450, 20m POE

If Node 1 is where your server equipment is located and all other nodes need
to connect to it and they have LOS, then this is where you would be using
the Omni. This Node runs as an AP while the other nodes run in client mode.

wow, great if you can get something on a church spire. where is this? This
is probably the point that other MW nodes could connect to / relay through.

>Node 2: Two story house 900m from Node 1.
>Antenna: Superpass 8 dBi omni pointing to node 1
>Cable: 3m antenna cable, 10m POE

put the 15 dBi grid at this node pointing to node 1

>Node 3: Two story house right on top of the Burke Road Hill in Camberwell,
>2.5km from Node 2.
>Antenna: 15 dBi Grid antenna
>AP: Linksys WRT54
>Cable: 5m antenna cable, 10m POE

Put the other 24 dBi antenna at this node pointing to node 1

>Node 4: Two story house on top of a hill but possible there's a hill
>between
>it and Node 3. About 3.5km from Node 3.
>Antenna: 24 dBi Grid antenna
>AP: Linksys WRT54
>Cable: 5m antenna cable, 10m POE
>
>All nodes are in a line and I need node 1 to point to all other nodes. So
>node one in my opinion needs to be high and powerful, same with node 4.

Hmm, haven't seen your diagram but when you say all nodes have LOS do you
mean to node 1 or to the next node in your "chain"?

You want this:

Node 1 Omni  / AP  ---------- Node 2 15 dBi grid / client
      |       |
      |        ----------------------- Node 3 24 dBi grid / client

       --------------------------------Node 4 24 dBi grid / client

not this:

Node 1 ----- Node 2 ------- Node 3 ------- Node 4

The problem with the second is that with your grid antennas each node is
focused one way and the beam is pretty narrow. Also I don't think you would
really want each node relaying packets to node 1 if you could get them there
in one hop.