[MLB-WIRELESS] I'm ready to make 4 points in Camberwell happen

Me guy_vid at yahoo.com.au
Thu Feb 10 17:31:12 EST 2005

Hiya all,

I'm about to set up a 4 point wireless network. I've mentioned this before
in the group but I've had many distractions and I'm not back onto the
mission.

I have a PDF outlining the distances and angles using whereis.com.au. I'm
80% sure I have line of site between all points. I can send the PDF to
whoever wants it. I figured I couldn't send attachments to MelbWireless.

If anyone has any thoughts on the following, let me know. Rob Clark has been
helping me out but I feel like I'm picking too much of his brain and
besides, this is an interesting project that people may want to help out on.

Troy from Melbourne Wireless has sold me:
- 24dB WiFi Modified Galaxy grid
- 15m of LDF450/conx & some mounting HW
- 15dB Unmodified Hills Grid
- Superpass 8dB Omni (rebuilt)

So far, I've purchased
- 4 x Linksys WRT54G access points

I haven't bought any masts or anything like that yet.

Here are the nodes with suggestions / thoughts to date:

Node 1: Church where I put an antenna on the spire. Central Server to be
stored at Church for other nodes to access.
Antenna: 24 dBi Grid antenna pointing to node 2, 3, and 4
AP: Linksys WRT54
Cable: 15m LDF450, 20m POE

Node 2: Two story house 900m from Node 1.
Antenna: Superpass 8 dBi omni pointing to node 1
Cable: 3m antenna cable, 10m POE

Node 3: Two story house right on top of the Burke Road Hill in Camberwell,
2.5km from Node 2.
Antenna: 15 dBi Grid antenna
AP: Linksys WRT54
Cable: 5m antenna cable, 10m POE

Node 4: Two story house on top of a hill but possible there's a hill between
it and Node 3. About 3.5km from Node 3.
Antenna: 24 dBi Grid antenna
AP: Linksys WRT54
Cable: 5m antenna cable, 10m POE

All nodes are in a line and I need node 1 to point to all other nodes. So
node one in my opinion needs to be high and powerful, same with node 4.

I've been trying to put together the bits I need but have spent too long
researching and there's too much to learn and I just need some help to make
this happen.

And then there's all the little widgets and adaptors to go with it. I'll try
and get most stuff from Rob Clark (freenetantennas).

Anyone wanna help out / throw in their opinion before I invest?

Feel free to call me on the mobile (0410 247 927) or email any time.

Regards,

Guy