[MLB-WIRELESS] WRT54GS

Nick Grundy ngrundy at isoproplex.net
Thu Feb 10 11:29:45 EST 2005

John McClumpha wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Not sure I can help you on the first question too much - although I believe
> the version is marked somewhere on the underside of the unit (I have a
> WAP54G so things may well be different)
>
> As for which antenna to use - yes just hook it up to one side and (if you
> have updated/modified firmware installed) set transmit/receive to that one
> antenna (basically rendering the other side redundant)
>
> With my WAP54G I found that the left side gets a stronger signal than the
> right - don't ask me why, there's no real logic behind it - but it would be
> worth trying each side to see if there is a difference.

Internally if you look at the WRT54G's one antenna is connected via a PCB trace to the RF
card the other is connected via a RF flylead.  IIRC the antenna closest to the WAN Port is
on the PCB trace.  I'd assume this is the antenna you've getting better signel levels from.

Some people may also be interested in the entry at
http://starnet.shacknet.nu/wiki/index.php?page=LinkSysModification

The document details how we setup our 54G's on the StarNet / TasWireless network in
Hobart.  At last count we have about about 12 or so of the suckers running on our network.
  We have been graduly replacing anything that dies with these units because they work so
well.  To date we've yet to have a single failure and some units have been running non
stop for 2.5 months.  Last time i look one of the units had passed 20GB of data through
it's FORWARD table in about 20 days.