[MLB-WIRELESS] New world record for wifi link (125 Miles).

Peter Buncle peter at nmc.net.au
Wed Aug 3 09:29:43 EST 2005

I'm willing to get involved and contribute too, have a
ticket here as well.

We could just use a call sign as the ssid for the higher
powered tests and these would probably be needed for initial alignment
anyway so it's not a completely frustrating exercise.

I'd suggest some research would definatly be needed on this one
and yes a max legal distance with diversity would be a great idea too.
Push the limits in aus for both legal and lic-required,
but keeping the focus on non amplified would centainly be the best media
wise.

I'm imagining pics of a standard off the shelf cheap ap connected in a
diversity config
to a massive dish and acheiving extream distance.

(Should even be some sponsorship in there for mw as well, even
if it's just equipment - any vendors watching this list ready to
assist?)

FYI have a dormant 1.8mtr prime focus dish to get things started.

A question I have is about the actual link speed and what qualifies
for the records.
Obviously timing issues will seriously come into play in anything
like this sort of distance.

FYI Arthurs seat if supposed to have a huge noise floor as well,
    but access is very easy to the carpark.

There's also olivers hill frankston or mt erin frankston to consider
with much lower noise.
for the southern side of some initial metro tests.

Cheers

Peter
NodeGUR