[MLB-WIRELESS] APANA Melbourne City hub closing down...

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Tue Sep 14 20:24:35 EST 2004

G'day,

I know this appears off topic, but bare with me...

APANA Melbourne has had it's hub in the city for many years. This hub is
located in Ross House on Little Lonsdale Street, between Swanson and Queen
Streets. APANA Melbourne has now shrunk to the point where we cannot afford
the cheap rent by ourselves. Unless we can negotiate some sort of sharing
deal with another organisation in the next month, we are going to loose it,
and once it's gone we'll never get it back.

At one stage APANA checked out the roof of Ross House and negotiated access.
It has good views to the south of the city, and we have verbal permission to
put wireless gear there. APANA Melbourne is shrinking, but melbwireless is
growing. If melbwireless ever wanted a member-neutral hub/office space, at
just under $300/month including electricity etc, it is a pretty good deal.
Ross House has extra facilities like meeting rooms etc that APANA has used
extensively in the past.

Even if we do negotiate a favourable deal, it's debatable whether APANA
Melbourne still needs a hub. At this stage, we are pretty much planning on
de-commissioning it unless something radical happens. When we do shut it
down, we'll have a heap of gear to get rid of, which we will probably flog
on ebay and/or sell to the first decent offer.

The hub has three full height racks, heaps of connectivity, 6 server
machines, 3 DOV capable cisco 5802's, a 72 port annex, a netcomm rackmodem
(14 x 28.8k, 1 x33.6K), shelves full of crap, more old modems than you can
imagine, and a desk. Obviously APANA members will get first dibs, and we
will keep some of this gear, but you get the idea.

Donovan Baarda                http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/