[MLB-WIRELESS] [OT] 1.5Mbit/sec DSL providers - further OT

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Fri Nov 5 14:19:41 EST 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 01:34:46PM +1100, foxxme at netspace.net.au wrote:

> They couldnt fix everyones lines so they just waited until people
> reported a problem.

and, no doubt, prioritised the politically sensitive suburbs.

this is part of what is wrong with privatising telstra.  as a public service,
telecom had a responsibility to provide reliable phone service to the
australian public.  as a private company, telstra has a responsibility to
maximise return to shareholders WITHOUT REGARD TO THE NEEDS OF THE PUBLIC - and
one sure way to increase profits is to reduce expenses by skimping on
maintainence.

> Our phone went out everytime it rained and we reported it everytime..  last
> time it was out for 3 weeks, along with the rest of Brisbane (last storm
> season).  Have fun getting a refund / discount / admission of fault / anything
> remotely related to, or indicative of liability.

three weeks?  that really sucks.

> > my whole street (and maybe more of the surrounding suburb) had no
> > phone lines for two days from wednesday last week. when i rang to
> > report the fault, they said it would be fixed "by tomorrow". the
> > next day they rang my mobile and

oh yeah, to add insult to the injury, it cost me $3.50 to report the fault on
my mobile (overpriced telstra pre-paid) - and that's even after my first
question was "is this a time-charged call?" and getting the telstra person to
call me back immediately.

if i actually used the mobile a lot, i'd have replaced it by now with something
more reasonably priced - but i have it mostly so that people can contact me in
an emergency, and don't make many outgoing calls on it.  i'll replace it when
the $25 runs out.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)