[MLB-WIRELESS] [OT] 1.5Mbit/sec DSL providers

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Tue Nov 2 17:16:09 EST 2004

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 05:25:09PM +1100, Rowan Crowe wrote:
> What DSL provider do you guys (in Melbourne) use and recommend? I'm moving
> house and certain circumstances involved with the ISP relocating the DSL
> are making me think twice about staying with them. I'm mainly interested
> in 1500/256k links, flat rate (shaped after download allowance exceeded,
> doesn't have to be unlimited).
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

i'm only on 512/128, but i'm happy with the service from isp.net.au.  no
problems so far (switched from netspace about 2 or 3 months ago).  $88/month
flat rate (unlimited) for 512/128.  all connections get a static IP.  even
better, they had no problem routing my own /24 to my adsl connection (which is
the reason i had to dump netspace - they wouldn't do it unless i switched to a
volume-charged business plan).  run by real geeks, not by clueless suits
cashing in on the ISP business.

the last two points were the main reason i chose them when i needed to find a
new ISP a few months ago.  there were a few slightly cheaper 512/128 services
around but switching ISPs is a complete PITA and i don't want to have to do it
again in 6 months when idiot suits screw up or go out of business.

isp.net.au don't have a flat-rate 1500/256 plan.  they have a 30GB 1500/256
plan with static IP for $145/month, and about 10c/meg for excess.

if they ever have a flat-rate 1500/256 plan i might think about upgrading, but
512/128 is heaps of bandwidth if you're not a warez leech....certainly plenty
for ssh sessions and mail and web-browsing (and nightly updates of my debian
mirror).

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)