[MLB-WIRELESS] Legal question

sanbar sandbar at ozemail.com.au
Mon May 31 13:21:12 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 16:32, Winder wrote:
> If people don't want me to connect to their unsecured, IP address granting
> open APs, then don't send the signals into my house! ;)
>
>  But seriously, I'd like to see clarification in the law. It's not like you
> are making an effort to connect to this stuff if you can see it from your
> own house. But it is if you have to take any out of the ordinary steps, like
> even having to move your laptop.

Think active/passive connections. You open up and switch on your lappy,
and a nearby open AP assigns you an IP address.
This is a passive connection.
You begin to download Rick's 60Gb of scat pr0n. Now it's an active
connection.
IAMAL, but I'd expect that is the difference.

>  If someone knows enough about wireless networking to report you to the
> police for accessing their AP, then they should know enough to secure it. If
> I was a judge I'd have a dim view of the person reporting the infringment in
> that case. "secure your AP f00l, and stop baiting people" .... and to the
> user....."don't do it again".

Wouldn't be that simple, I'd say. It's not a matter of someone "baiting"
people. You can speed in your car, but you don't because you fjear
sharing a cell with Bubba.

>  Guess it's lucky I'm not a judge, hey :)

On the contrary, life would be interesting :)

- Barry

--
barry park
http://wireless.bur.st|community wireless project