[MLB-WIRELESS] Legal question

Tim Hogard thogard at knotty.abnormal.com
Sun May 30 17:03:43 EST 2004

>  But seriously, I'd like to see clarification in the law. It's not like you
> are making an effort to connect to this stuff if you can see it from your
> own house. But it is if you have to take any out of the ordinary steps, like
> even having to move your laptop.

I'm guessing the "how illegal is this" relates directly to who's AP it is
and less to the other issues discussed here.  Using an open AP owned
by Mr Howard (as if he would have one unless it came with his free Telstra
Broadband demo kit) or ASIO is illegal even if its wide open with an SSID of
"use_me" and will result in time up the river.
A AP owend by an opposition party member will result in much nastly threats
of jail time for hacking and thats about it.
If you crack my AP, even if I complained and could prove you knowingly
threatended my grandmother to get the wep key and then used the connecion
to spam, 419 and defraud pensioners would of course be perfectly legal :-(

-tim
http://web.abnormal.com