[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [Syd-Wireless] SSID

Craig Mead craig at australianwireless.org
Mon Mar 8 16:51:24 EST 2004

|  Hi guys, question for you, why would someone want more than 1 ssid on an
|  access point?

|  Colubris Networks, a strong competitor in the heavy Wi-Fi access point
|  market, has launched a new architecture that lets up to 16 different
|  SSIDs share a single AP infrastructure, while offering access to end
|  users as if these APs were physically separate.

|  I've been told that new Nortel and Netcomm also come with multiple SSID
|  as well.

Dean,

Mark was playing around with this on some Cisco kit a few months ago and was
thinking the same thing.

Best I could come up with?

a - set up on SSID as broadcasting, DHCP, goes absolutely nowhere (basically
a honeypot)
      set up another SSID thats not broadcasting, no DHCP and actually gets
you thru to the main network.

People will stumble, get an IP, go, oh, nothing there, and move on having no
idea theres a complete network on there as well.

IIRC, its shared bandwith among ALL of the SSID's as well. If this has
changed, that would obviously be a very cool thing to have as well (looks
like it hasn't from the "share a single AP  infrastructure") . One SSID for
a CWN link, one for a home link with completely segmented networks.

Anyone else got suggestions?