[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [Syd-Wireless] SSID

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Mon Mar 8 16:31:45 EST 2004

Hi,

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Dean Collins wrote:

> Hi guys, question for you, why would someone want more than 1 ssid
> on an access point?

This can work in commercial situations, or where you don't want to have
a certain network obvious.

> Colubris Networks, a strong competitor in the heavy Wi-Fi access
> point market, has launched a new architecture that lets up to 16
> different SSIDs share a single AP infrastructure, while offering
> access to end users as if these APs were physically separate.
>
> I've been told that new Nortel and Netcomm also come with multiple
> SSID as well.

Cisco's will do it as well. Typically, AP's with this feature support
VLAN's, so you can have a seperate network per VLAN/SSID, so you can
have a guest network, with limited access, and a more secure network
with more access, one perhaps rate limited, multiple SSID's can be used
to brand a hotspot for multiple companies, such as the same AP say doing
Telstra and Optus (like it would happen, but you get the idea).

Sydney Airport Corporation use Cisco's and these types of features
heavily.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au