[MLB-WIRELESS] Commercial use of MW network

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 00:08:15 EST 2004

What I'm getting at is that "we" (the hobbyist users/creators of the
network) possibly stand to gain as much if not more than "they"
(potential commercial users) do from us.  Mutual exploitation is to
everyone's gain.  A company-operated node would be well-resourced and
reliable.  And because they're on "our" network we would make it clear
to them that just as they use our nodes, we can use theirs.  As far as I
can tell, there are no rules governing who can, can't or
can-with-conditions access the Melbourne Wireless network.  The only
considerations as to access are technical Quality-of-Service issues.  I
would suggest that any company that wished to use the network would be
asked to adhere to the principles of free access.  If they don't, we can
always block them.  There are already commercial users of the 2.4Ghz
band, and many private commercial 802.11b networks across town.  How is
it different if two disparate parts of such a private commercial network
are connected via VPN across our network?

The reason we keep getting knocked back for access to prime locations
for our nodes is because the companies who own the sites can't see
what's in it for them.  If we formally open the MW network to them we're
far more likely to be able to get nodes up at those great sites.

As for wether the MW network is reliable enough for business use -
consider that at the moment many companies with remote offices use
dial-up to connect to the main office.  If the wireless link fails, they
can always go back to dial-up and be no worse off than they were
originally.  The MW network offers a way to get network access to sites
where it may be impractical to get a phone line installed - temporary
sites for instance.

Ultimately, the more nodes on the network, the more reliable (via
redundancy) it is.  And with more working, routing nodes the easier it
is for new nodes to connect.  Then we will have a real city-wide
network.

Dan

Are