[MLB-WIRELESS] practical limit to number of clients on a sing le 802.11G AP.

O'Brien, Michael Michael.OBrien at logicacmg.com
Mon Mar 1 17:18:58 EST 2004

The total bandwidth for G depends on whether backward compatibility with
802.11B clients is required. If its not then a greater throughput can be
achieved.

Figures I have seen are:

801.11 g only mode (54mbps) 			- 24.7 Mbps (~2980 KB/sec)
801.11 g mixed environment(54&11mbps)  	- 11.8 Mbps (~1424 KB/sec)
802.11 B (11mbps)					- 5.8  Mbps
(~700KB/sec)

If the clients are only using citrix and require an average of 24Kbps (~
3KB/sec) for screen updates then a G only mode access point could support a
huge number of clients (even working at the practical figures you have
suggested).

However as the number of clients increases there will be contention for use
of the bandwidth and that will impact performance.

Where in practice does the limit of clients per access point sit ?

- michael.