[MLB-WIRELESS] Waterproof casing advice...

Ratbaggy notme at iprimus.com.au
Wed Jun 9 20:58:11 EST 2004

Unless there is an obstacle quite close to your antenna, the difference in
height with inverted or non inverted placement will make very little
difference.  As Dan said, the radiation pattern should be the same either
way.  Hence it comes down to water ingress and the most likely candidate
would be around the gland, so my vote would be for an antenna pointing down.

If you wanted to take this one step further, you could make a couple of cuts
in the plate along the edge of the box from the outsides towards the centre
leaving about 6 cm in the middle and bend the 2 sides forward on a 45 degree
angle.  This would form a 90 degree corner reflector antenna and if you
started with a 20 cm wide plate, this would give you up to 10 dB gain.
Maybe overkill for a 100 m link but something like that should be good for a
km or so under LOS conditions.

Yes, if it works out, publish it on the wiki.  I doubt I'll get around to
experimenting with short range stuff where I live.  Oops, there is that last
300m from the ridge to here....  Let my know how you get on!

David Nuttall.