[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Providing free *real* internet access to the community...

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Wed Jul 21 10:02:53 EST 2004

At 08:42 AM 21/07/2004, you wrote:

>The issue here is people providing internet access under the guise of
>Melbourne Wireless.
>
>What they do on their own unaffiliated wireless networks is none of our
>business.  When the network is claimed to be part of the Melbourne Wireless
>network and it is potentially breaking ACA regulations or similar, then
>there is an issue and it affects the rest of the members and the committee.

I see that there does need to be a distinction between "Melbourne Wireless"
(a specific free community network that's isolated from the Internet) and
individual nodes, which _may_ choose to offer Internet access to people
within range.  However, that Internet access should not be deemed to be a
part of Melbourne Wireless, and people wishing to access the Internet via
wireless should speak to someone who hosts such a service.  Since many
nodes offering Internet access are also Melbourne Wireless members, I feel
this list will be one place people will ask.  Node owners with Internet
access can reply to such queries in private.

>Melbourne Wireless was not created with the intention of providing free or
>cheap wireless internet access. Until such time as there is a clear-cut
>stance from the regulatory bodies on this I would be very wary of this.
>Australia's internet industry is very different to that of the US where a
>wireless hotspot running from every 5th house may be acceptable.

True, but individual nodes _may_ offer Net access independently, not under
the MW banner, and I don't have any problems passing on information about
these nodes in an unofficial, informal capacity.  MW's role with regards
Internet access should be to keep up with the latest on legal issues and
act as a clearing house for such information, as wireless community
Internet does have some parallels with the official aims of MW.

As for myself, I will NOT be offering Internet access.  This is purely
because my ISP's AUP specifically prohibits this sort of sharing, no other
reason.  I'm happy to help out those who do wish to provide access on a one
on one basis.  Such help is usually on a "beerware" basis. :-)

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com