[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Providing free *real* internet access to the community...

Matt Pearce matt at pearceits.com.au
Tue Jul 20 23:11:56 EST 2004

rick wrote:

> one off does not mean free does it?> its ither free or its not, we have a
> few nodes on the rgsouthern mesh that offer FREE net traffic, i dont
> remember any of them asking for any sort of donation, and 500$ for a node?
> well your getting off cheap, most of the guys who have had nodes for the
> last 3 years im sure have put alot more cash than that, two people to name
> are ryan (sneeze) and peter (melb_ap) Both of these people have out time
> money and effort into there setup, does your isp allow you to resell your
> internet access, if you make a compulsury donation even if its once off its
> not free and in breach of your contract. when you ran fido bbs did you make
> people pay a donation to use your 100% free bbs or did people donate of
> there own freewill
>
> what other people say about isp's isnt what matters, your aup might be
> diffrent to someone elses for example due to when you signed up or what plan
> your on even to what suburb your in
>
> i dont think ANYONE ever considered melb-wireless as a isp, we are a mesh a
> network a group of like minded people under the name melbourne wireless, is
> your node a mw node or is it a personal isp? i could ask everyone at
> bentleigh and patterson trainstation for money everytime they associate to
> my node acidently but lets face it, im not a nice guy but im not a asshole
> who would charge for my scraps of bandwidth
>
> is your net account only for people who connect to your node or will you be
> using it to? i take it it will be your net access and your giving people
> your scraps. be a nice guy and get off the idea of making people pay to
> connect to you, or you might get a rude shock when people make you pay for
> any data you get off these network..
>
> on a side note i liked the last meeting even thou it was very cold, in the
> past i have been short with some people i am trying to be more accepting,
> but the day any of the data that goes thru my wireless traffic is being
> forced to be paid for when it should be free then i will become Rick/Toby
> wireless population 1 where its free for the world to use all of my traffic,
> i will even leave cat 5 cables out the front of my property

If someone wishes to charge people to access there network then that is
entirely their business, who are we to dictate to people how they will
conduct themselves ??  For that matter who are we to tell people how to
do anything ??  We can recommend they do things this way or that way,
but if they are putting out cold hard cash of there own then they have
100% choice of what they do providing it is legal.

While you might have this dream that net access be free, someone
somewhere has to pay for it, why should this not be the end users ??
Are you honestly expecting someone to spend hundreds if not thousands of
dollars, plus a lot of time and effort to be able to give people access
to the internet and incur a loss for their generosity ??  Wake up and
smell the roses, this is the real world.

If I choose to do this then that is entirely my choice, but it should
not be asked for nor expected.  If you choose to do this then that also
is entirely your choice, but to flame someone for thinking about trying
to recover some costs shows just how narrow minded you really are, maybe
its time you got out into the real world for a little while.

Personally if my neighbor down the road said he would pay me to connect
to my internet I would definately do it, as the overall cost of my
connection would fall, this benefits everyone except the big Telco's.

Matt.