[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Providing free *real* internet access to the community...

rick mibz at optushome.com.au
Tue Jul 20 21:53:30 EST 2004

one off does not mean free does it?> its ither free or its not, we have a
few nodes on the rgsouthern mesh that offer FREE net traffic, i dont
remember any of them asking for any sort of donation, and 500$ for a node?
well your getting off cheap, most of the guys who have had nodes for the
last 3 years im sure have put alot more cash than that, two people to name
are ryan (sneeze) and peter (melb_ap) Both of these people have out time
money and effort into there setup, does your isp allow you to resell your
internet access, if you make a compulsury donation even if its once off its
not free and in breach of your contract. when you ran fido bbs did you make
people pay a donation to use your 100% free bbs or did people donate of
there own freewill

what other people say about isp's isnt what matters, your aup might be
diffrent to someone elses for example due to when you signed up or what plan
your on even to what suburb your in

i dont think ANYONE ever considered melb-wireless as a isp, we are a mesh a
network a group of like minded people under the name melbourne wireless, is
your node a mw node or is it a personal isp? i could ask everyone at
bentleigh and patterson trainstation for money everytime they associate to
my node acidently but lets face it, im not a nice guy but im not a asshole
who would charge for my scraps of bandwidth

is your net account only for people who connect to your node or will you be
using it to? i take it it will be your net access and your giving people
your scraps. be a nice guy and get off the idea of making people pay to
connect to you, or you might get a rude shock when people make you pay for
any data you get off these network..

on a side note i liked the last meeting even thou it was very cold, in the
past i have been short with some people i am trying to be more accepting,
but the day any of the data that goes thru my wireless traffic is being
forced to be paid for when it should be free then i will become Rick/Toby
wireless population 1 where its free for the world to use all of my traffic,
i will even leave cat 5 cables out the front of my property

rik