[MLB-WIRELESS] Swinburne VoIP/network analysis project (was: helps)

Tyson Clugg tyson at wireless.org.au
Thu Feb 26 03:57:12 EST 2004

Note to melbwireless subscribers:
My reply is below, please CC albertus_eric at hotmail.com on any follow-ups.

From: "albertus eric hernawan" <albertus_eric at hotmail.com>
> to whom it may concern
>
> i'm a student (swinburne) that will doing the final year projects.
enventually me and my group has interest on implementing VoIP over wireless
network that could consider as the new way for cheap but reliable
communications. we will then perform the analysis about the network
performances.

> since i see this web site i was thinking that i could ask your help for
the wireless network access and offered the implementation of VoIP on your
network if the project successfull.

> we will really appreciates if this community could gives professional
opinions and assistance on our project.

> thank you for time and assistance and i'm really looking forward for your
reply

> best regards
>
> eric hernawan

Eric,

I studied the Diploma of Engineering Computer Systems at Swinburne in
Hawthorn (TAFE division).  I'm interested to hear which course are you
doing, and in which faculty.  Who are your lecturers?

There are a number of Melbourne Wireless users including myself already
using VoIP on the Melbourne Wireless network[1], typically using the SIP
protocol via FreeWorld Dialup[2].  There has been minor interest in using
Asterisk[3] to configure a VoIP gateway for the Melbourne Wireless network,
but as yet there has been no commitment from anyone to go ahead with any
such project.  What are the assessment criteria for your project?

There are a number of current Swinburne students (and some staff) who are
involved with the Melbourne Wireless network, and as such all that is
required is a little coordination to get connected on campus.  Perhaps you
could reduce the amount of effort on your behalf by calling these people
together and forming a wireless network club within Swinburne, with the aim
of connecting Swinburne to the Melbourne Wireless network.  The club could
work together to install Melbourne Wireless services on campus, with funding
obtained through Swinburne Student Union[4].

I'm sure that this project will garner some interest amongst Melbourne
Wireless members, so I am forwarding this reply to our mailing list.  I
strongly suggest that you and the rest of your group join the melbwireless
mailing list[5] so that you may stay up-to-date with any discussions that
may occur.

Kind regards,
Tyson.

[1] http://melbournewireless.org.au/wiki/?FWDnumbers