[MLB-WIRELESS] GHO on Locfinder

vk3jma at net2000.com.au vk3jma at net2000.com.au
Tue Feb 10 11:16:15 EST 2004

Quoting Ryan Abbenhuys <sneeze at alphalink.com.au>:

> Looking at the network link map it seems we have little to worry about
> however.  I think people were seeing GHO as more valuable than it really
> was or is ever going to be.

My experience with Amateur Packet Radio systems showed me long ago the placing
of all your users on a single central access point causes more trouble that it
is worth.

1. if the node goes down, then many are disadvantaged,

2. hidden transmitter problems run riot and the system may as well not be there.

Although probally already known by you guys, running point 2 point links to
various gepgraphical areas with many nodes for users to access is the best way
to go.  There was an article written many years ago about packet radio
called "The cellular approach to Packet Radio", the name says it all.

Just 2c worth......

Mark