[MLB-WIRELESS] DSL & Wireless

Tom Parker tparker at netspace.net.au
Tue Feb 3 21:11:55 EST 2004

Jason,

> Friend of mine.
> Getting DSL..
> Renting.. Landlord looks down on knocking holes in walls..
> Dunno why :-)
>
> Anyways. The only DSL point is a little ways from the
> computers in the house
> which in turn have a pesky wall between them..
>
> Can someone reccomend a way to setup the following with
> appropriate (read,
> driver support) hardware..
>
> DSL Router / Access point (combo would be good).
> Linux based workstation.
> Windows based workstation.

I would recommend a linksys WRT54g as both the DSL Router/AP.  These little guys run
linux, a group has started to put out modded flash images that add neat features.  I use
one as both my DSL auth client (with external ethernet modem in bridged mode) and wireless
AP.

http://www.sveasoft.com/forum6.html

http://www.batbox.org/wrt54g-linux.html

http://www.linksys.com/support/gpl.asp

I expect they will add IPsec et al sooner or later, but you can always roll your own.

Cheers,
Tom