[MLB-WIRELESS] Proxim Harmony 802.11a AP

David Ashburner d_ashburner at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 22 16:38:09 EST 2004

>From: "Dan Flett" <conhoolio at hotmail.com>
>To: maitken at erggroup.com
>CC: melbwireless at wireless.org.au, owner-melbwireless at wireless.org.au
>Subject: Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Proxim Harmony 802.11a AP
>Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:40:44 +1100
>
>>I like the idea of these, but as stated buy Tony (i think) where does it
>>mention
>>5.8 GHz?
>>
>>Where does one stand doing 5.2 GHz with external antenna's in australia?
>
>I think the cheaper units' default firmware allows only 5.2GHz.  On the
>SeattleWireless list they talk about using 5.2 and 5.8GHz.  The more
>expensive version has a firmware that lets you use all channels.  The first
>model in the link below has all channels unlocked.
>
>http://www.centrix-intl.com/?DirectBuy=yes&ItemPartNumber=8570

I brought a 5 pack of thes a few weeks ago. They are in Texas at the moment
waiting for my next trip out there. The expensive one (if you call $16
expensive)  is for the US market. The cheap one is for the Japan market.

>I'm not sure if it's a different card (Atheros PCMCIA) in the more
>expensive version or if it's just a different firmware that allows 5.8Ghz
>operation.  For now it might be a safer bet to get the slightly more
>expensive one.  But make sure it has removable antennas - not all of them
>do.

It's a different card. Here is the link to the socal dudes, they seem to
have been hacking this the longest, though just up on that page  is a  link
to the Russian guy that has done the majority of the hack.

http://socalfreenet.org/book/view/158

dna