[MLB-WIRELESS] All quiet on the Wireless front....

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 4 08:31:34 EST 2004

The latest non-public release of the Sveasoft firmware is Alchemy 5.2.2,
it's got a few more features than 5.1, and lots more bugs. :)  I believe
the WAN-WLAN interface-swap in client mode is new to v5.2.  Also new to
v5.2 is a VLAN config/assign web config page.

An upcoming feature is to be able to save/restore the NVRAM settings via
the web interface.  You'll be able to take settings from one WRT54G and
put them into another which should make setting up a box a lot faster.
We could possibly post an NVRAM settings file somewhere that has
settings for a typical Melbourne Wireless node, and let people refine
their setup from that.

Dan

I'm
> currently starting to think of ways to basically seperate the wan from
the
> wireless from the switch, basically use all 3 seperately, with
seperate
> firewalling/routing for each. I can now change the file structure of
the
> firmware before it get's compiled into the .bin file, so I can play a
fair
> bit with scripts and the like.
>
> The latest firmware I've got is the alchemy pre5.1 non-public(?)
release,
> and it's client mode simply bridges the wireless to the switch ports
on
> back, with no additional configuration available from web interface
(and
> no documentation either :-/
> I'm under the imppression that alchemy is the latest one available to
> subscribers....but I'm not one, so don't know for sure....I've heard
some
> quite disturbing things about the guy behind sveasoft and his
practices,
> and don't know that I want to give him money, but that's a different
> story. And I don't really like having to pay money just to get on the
> forum to chat to other users....
>
> The ssh is a bit of a pain, having to stuff around with public&private
> keys, I'm happy with passwords myself, but it does work, as does the
> telnet. very handy :) I've worked out that it's going to take a bit
more
> effort than I was hoping to get nfs client support on, but it's
already
> got wget in it so once ssh'd in, can download modded files into the
temp
> dir to test.
>
> Andrew
>

> On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 23:45:57 +1000, Dan Flett <conhoolio at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrew, All,
> >
> > I've been trying to compile WRT54G firmware for myself but have hit
> > few hurdles.  Have sort of given up for now, but I'll try again soon
and
> > post my symptoms.
> >
> > I've been thinking a lot about the essential applications a
Melbourne
> > Wireless routing node needs, and how to get these into a WRT54G
> > firmware.  I want to make it as easy as possible for non-linux-geeks
> > get involved in the network.
> >
> > I've noticed the new Sveasoft firmware has some interesting
features,
> > including a wireless client mode that swaps the internal network
> > interfaces so that the wireless interface is treated as if it was
the
> > WAN interface.  It's not at a point yet where you could
satisfactorily
> > set up a Melbourne Wireless node entirely via the web interface, but
> > it's getting closer.  Certainly it is possible via the command line
if
> > you've got some linux experience.
> >
> > Has anyone got any suggestions for default settings in a firmware
for
> > the WRT54G?  I'd like to see these things working:
> >
> > * OSPF working on the WAN and Wireless interfaces, with separately
> > settable area IDs for each interface...
> >
> > * The latest version of Quagga ported to the WRT54G, Sveasoft is
using
> > Zebra 0.92-something.
> >
> > * NoCatSplash or Chillispot Captive portals, with a nice Melbourne
> > Wireless information webpage that pops up when someone attempts to
> > access a web page in their browser
> >
> > You can Telnet or SSH into the box and have a play.  The shell is
quite
> > nice, it even has command completion (press TAB).  I do miss MC
though.
> > :)
> >
> > I don't think that it's a good idea to put a directional antenna on
one
> > of the antenna connections and an omni on the other.  I don't think
> > antenna diversity works that way.  But certainly give it a test, and
> > post your results!  But I think you'd be better off connecting
another
> > AP to one of the WRT54G's ports and using it as a client.
> >
> > Dan

I'm