[MLB-WIRELESS] connection value/cost for the main net

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Tue Sep 9 16:39:23 EST 2003

For those who are using the latest version of Zebra/OSPF (Quagga) that does
actually work (as opposed to...well anything else),  you may have stumbled
across the beginnings of MPLS (Multi-Protocol Label Switching)
implementation in a few places.

I believe it is intended that eventually Quagga(Zebra) will support MPLS,
which would provide what we need.  An ability to reserve enough bandwidth
for important services such as ospf route updates, gaming traffic, IRC,
etc. and then leave FTP and web traffic with whatever is left in the pipe.

>On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 11:03 pm, James Healy wrote:
>> There was a "lively" discussion last year about a writing a dynamic
>> routing protcol that took these factors into account, and used QOS to
>> give people that are putting more into the network higher priority.
>
>snip
>
>> look for the thread about "applications on the network","node x is over
>> here" and "mojo"
>
>or save yourself some pain and don't... :-)
>
>serious networker hat now...
>
>routing in adhoc networks has been done to death with no resolution in
site.
>But we are not really building an adhoc network are we? we are building a
>ifxed but somewhat variable network rather like the real internet. With
>likely heaps of local mobile wireless adhoc but (and this is important)
edge