[MLB-WIRELESS] Ad-Hoc mode

Richard Van Orsouw Richard.Van.Orsouw at optus.com.au
Mon Sep 8 09:04:55 EST 2003

F.Y.I.

When setting up an Ad-Hoc network and if any nodes are hidden from each
other but have LOS to a common node, some "supernetting" is needed for
correct routing.
eg,

GDW has LOS to FPY
FSS has LOS to FPY
But GDW has no LOS to FSS since GDW and FSS are using directionals to FPY's
Omni.
In this scenario, I had to break up my /28 so as FPY will correctly route
packets from GDW to FSS
ie
I was given 10.10.33.32/28 which has been broken up as follows...

FPY wireless card has 2 IP address's
10.10.33.34/30  Link to GDW
( 10.10.33.32/30 broadcast 10.10.33.35)
10.10.33.38/30 Link to FSS
( 10.10.33.36/30 broadcast 10.10.33.39)
FSS
10.10.33.37/30
GDW
10.10.33.33/30

When I add another node to FPY, I will then use the next available n/w off
my allocation of 10.10.33.32/28 which is
10.10.33.40/30

Hope this information can be of assistance to anyone thinking of setting up
a Ad-Hoc n/w.

Cheers.