[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless connection of 2 wired networks

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Wed Oct 15 22:40:23 EST 2003

In answer to your questions below, running the wireless cards in bridge mode,
even with WEP (which isn't the best encryption about) can lead to a
compromise of the link if someone were so determined to break in.  An option
would be to use OpenVPN ( http://openvpn.sourceforge.net ) and set up bridged
tunnels using it.  OpenVPN supports bridging but lets you use a faaar more
secure link with tried and true OpenSSL protocols and also has the optional
added benefit of compression to boot.  I've only just started looking at
OpenVPN myself and have yet to implement it myself but you could do the
following (someone correct me if I am wrong on details).

Link the two wireless cards together chatting in ad-hoc mode over their own
unroutable subnet.  Set up OpenVPN tunnel devices at each end and bridge them
to the local ethernet cards.  Configure the OpenVPN tunnels to chat through
the unroutable interfaces (which would be the wireless cards).

This way any unwanted traffic from a renegade card in adhoc mode would not
have it's packets forwarded onto your network (especially if you enforced
this with appropriate firewall rules) and the traffic could be happily
snooped without very much risk of the data being cracked.  You probably
wouldn't even have to set up WEP and it'd be redundant and may slow the link
anyway due to WEP overheads.

Sorry it's light on detail but that's the concept and would do exactly what
you are after and meet your criteria.

OpenVPN works on Windows, whateverBSD and Linux.