[MLB-WIRELESS] Svec Lockup?

vk3jma at net2000.com.au vk3jma at net2000.com.au
Tue Oct 7 11:28:40 EST 2003

Quoting Jason Hecker <jhecker at www.wireless.org.au>:

> This sounds like the same problem with the old DWl-900AP's.  A friend had
> them in bridge mode and they would go to sleep after a day of no traffic.
> So, he set up a cron job sending a ping once a minute to traverse the link
> proper (the packet had to go in one eth port, across the link and out the
> other eth port to keep it all alive) and it ran for months - until one of
> the AP's went on the fritz after a recent electrical storm (NVRAM now has
> the memory of a goldfish).  Vak found a similar solution with ping.  SVEC
> probably uses similar firm/hardware as the DWL-900s (it all comes out of
> some OEM in Taiwan anyway, methinks).

It seems the ping session is the way to go, but considering that the lock up
occurs around after a day and a half maybe a 'every minute' ping is excessive?

Probally every 1 to 2 hours would be better.  My SVEC has actually been
behaving itself of late, although I leave it running on the HUB with no
computers running for ages, it still picks itself up when I fire up a computer
on the HUB side of the LAN.  I think that the broadcast packets from the
booting up machine wakes it up again.  However I would say that a booting PC on
the RF side would not wake it up????

Does upgrading the SVEC with dwl900ap+ firmware (I have read it works???) stop
this 'sleeping'?

regards

Mark