[MLB-WIRELESS] Svec Lockup?

Jason Hecker jhecker at www.wireless.org.au
Tue Oct 7 10:03:09 EST 2003

This sounds like the same problem with the old DWl-900AP's.  A friend had
them in bridge mode and they would go to sleep after a day of no traffic.
So, he set up a cron job sending a ping once a minute to traverse the link
proper (the packet had to go in one eth port, across the link and out the
other eth port to keep it all alive) and it ran for months - until one of
the AP's went on the fritz after a recent electrical storm (NVRAM now has
the memory of a goldfish).  Vak found a similar solution with ping.  SVEC
probably uses similar firm/hardware as the DWL-900s (it all comes out of
some OEM in Taiwan anyway, methinks).

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Rob Clark wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I have also seen this....after approx 1.5 days (??)
>
> My solutio was to run a PING in the background. Seems there must be at
> least one packet every blue moon over the wireless link. I ping once
> very 60 sec a PC on the other end of the link. I do not ping at night as
> my PC is off then.
>
> And the SVEC has been up for months now without a drama.
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob

Cheers,
jASON