DNS revisited... was Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] MW Intranet DNS & Redirection

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Tue Nov 25 11:21:39 EST 2003

Hi all

yonks ago when we (CAIA) were talking to MW about how we could support MW, we
suggested things like supplying DNS services over wireless.  we can still do
this I believe  - though I will need to confirm this with the boss - and
infact still have the equipment set up to do so...

if you can see swinnet (swinburnes hawthorn wifi network) and set yourself up
for an IP address of 192.168.0.100 - 199 and DNS to 192.168.0.254 you should
be able to ping ftp.wireless.caia, ws.wireless.caia, gs.wireless.caia and
dns.wireless.caia  set your browser to no proxy (direct connection) and you
will see a (sadly out of date) sample webpage...

the point is we can set this up to serve via wireless (out of swinburnes
wireless network) and also via the internet...

contact me off list if you think this is a posibility...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
"And some run up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stones
to pieces wi' hammers, like so many road makers run daft.
They say it is to see how the world was made."
Sir Walter Scott, St. Ronan's Well 1824