[MLB-WIRELESS] Free P2P phones will pressure telcos

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Thu Nov 13 12:23:08 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 04:13 am, Clae wrote:
> At 4:10 PM +1100 12/11/03, paul van den bergen wrote:
> >GPRS mobile phones + VoIP = teleco worst nightmare...
>
> = way more expensive than making voice calls, doesn't it?

yes, well... perhaps I should have been more specific in what I meant...  and
not in such a hurry...
IMHO - a borrowed opinion at that  :-/

If mobile phone wireless technology were adapted to data traffic - GPRS seems
a logical use here - then a few things must follow. 1) data rate costs must
fall to compete with wifi etc. and 2) VoIP would make serious inroads into
the mobile phone (and conventional phone) market, with total bluring of IP
and telecoms services.  telecos would become low margin bitpipes instead of
high margin service providers.

How would this happen? weeeeelllll if telstra were split into a (govt. owned,
high grade) bitpipe and a private (shares) service company, 2 things would
happen.  1) we would see real competition in the telecoms market. 2) we would
maintain a high Q service that is cross subsidised like Aust Post. and 3)
that'll never happen because there is too much money to be lost to telstra.

the nice thing about MW is that in one sense it is an alternative (free -
speach not beer) version of the same thing...  if APANA and MW etc. were
combined.... :-)

ofcourse, this is all just a bitpipe dream....

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
"And some run up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stones
to pieces wi' hammers, like so many road makers run daft.
They say it is to see how the world was made."
Sir Walter Scott, St. Ronan's Well 1824