[MLB-WIRELESS] Free P2P phones will pressure telcos

mhill at satlink.com.au mhill at satlink.com.au
Wed Nov 12 15:50:31 EST 2003

i installed x-litefwd and cant get a connection out to
anyone. im just playing around and it just doesnt want to
dial

any thoughts >??

matt

> On the note of this sort of thing, you should probably
have a quick look at
> FWD (Free World Dial) at http://www.fwd.pulver.com/,
which is a world-wide
> directory for VOIP and has about 70,000 members at this
point and a
> searchable directory.
>
> Uses the SIP protocol (rather than h.323) and it's pretty
good. I am
> currently vaguelly in the process of trying to setup a
local outbound SIP
> proxy (ideally NAT traversal) to get around a lot of the
inherent problems
> with VOIP, but nothing as yet.
>
> I personally couldn't get Skype working in any
particularly useful form and
> also don't like it as it's proprietary and non-open
(source or otherwise).

> Checkout FWD. I know there's already a few of the
Wireless guys (Rob Clark,
> myself, etc) already on it.
>
> 	Fenn.

pressure telcos

> > Possibly something that might be interesting,
> > http://mall.pulltheplug.com/~andrewg/
> >
> > Its a VoIP thing I'm doing for the irc users for
pulltheplug people,
> > Conference calls aren't setup since we need to get a
timing src thingy
> > loaded, and its a kinda production machine (or
alternatively, there may be
> > another box spare for us to use at some stages.)
> >
> > Generally, 200ms isn't that bad - depending on what
your aims are.

> > > How do these things actually work, how does it reduce
latency by being
> > > distributed? Surely that works for file sharing but
not when you've got
> > > one  source and one destination as you would have in
a phone call.
> > > I can see a market for IP phones and wireless but the
whole kazaa link
> > > seems like hype... hmm hype.. skype is this a
coincidence? I'm yet to
> > > stumble across a decent software voip solution that
works over the
> > > internet  where you can't get consistent sub 200ms
pings across the same
> > > continent,  let alone to another country.
> > >
> > > My 2c
> > > Matt

> > with "unsubscribe melbwireless" in the body of the
message

This message was sent using Satlink Webmail.
http://www.satlink.com.au/