[MLB-WIRELESS] Setting up wireless NON LOS

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Wed May 14 10:05:25 EST 2003

since your objective is to get the bestest bandwidth you can, why not install
stumbler at each end and do an iterative search?
You could do this by pointing the antenna as best you can, then rotate it
slowly around the centre point (around the axial line of where it is pointing
- hey, you could shift it a few deg. at a time in a grid pattern.  Chose the
space that gives you the best signal and repeat. Repeat at the other end once
you are happy.  this will atleast give you a local optimum.

alternatively do a full test. make a grid of angles and directions (say each
degree for +/-5 degrees - e.g. after the above process maybe - to find
off-line optimums if they exist?) and test each point progressively mapping
the dB values. change teh other end and repeat.

exhaustive but sure.

On Tue, 13 May 2003 08:49 pm, Ryan wrote:
> Hello
>
> As some of you probly know i have a non los link between (me gll) and glo.
> The problem is that there are huge pine tree wall on glo's fence line
> facing me and i cant see where his antenna is pionting. We have used
> Locfinder to find out the Degrees of his house but we need to be a little
> more acerate in acquiring were the antenna is (because we have parabolics
> within a close range). I was thinking of putting a helliem balloon up above
> the trees when its not windy tieng it with fishing line to his antenna pole
> then marking every one meeter with a helium balloon, antill it disappears
> behind the trees. But he couldnot see my house if i did the same. The point
> of this is we are getting very dodgy connections 2-5.5mbit  and when it is
> raining we hardly get a connection and massive packet loss. We dont have a
> gps or any fancy tools. We just want to get a decent connection then expand
> our network. Any Idea's?????
>
>  thanks Ryan

Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
caia.swin.edu.au
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
"And some run up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stones
to pieces wi' hammers, like so many road makers run daft.
They say it is to see how the world was made."
Sir Walter Scott, St. Ronan's Well 1824