[MLB-WIRELESS] Node GHO Mount Dandenong announcement

darrend at ndpgroup.com.au darrend at ndpgroup.com.au
Tue May 13 21:49:09 EST 2003

After many delays and much anticipation we are pleased to announce that
NodeGHO is now in testing phase. The equipment is all privately owned, and
is situated on a private residence near sky high on Mount Dandenong at an
elevation of around 600M. It has excellent coverage of the eastern suburbs
of Melbourne, and has the potential to connect many. Hopefully in the long
term, we can negotiate this to be a permanent site.

The access point is currently open to all, but will eventually be closed to
those hosting AP's only to act as a routing hub. This is mainly to ensure
that it doesn't get overloaded with client traffic, and to provide
incentive for the growth of more interconnected AP's.

It's SSID is nodegho.wireless.org.au  and has a mac address of
00:02:2D:8B:F4:EE.
It's running dhcp in the range 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200
The only service currently active are http and ftp servers on 192.168.0.1 ,
other than that you can ping away to your hearts content!
We hope to have some other services available in the near future.

If you are able to connect successfully and are hosting an AP and routing
to others, please contact me with your MAC details etc

Locfinder Page (yes, the ORIGINAL locfinder)
http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/nodes/view.php?id=GHO

Wiki Page.
http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/wiki/?NodeGHO

More info and pics from the site.
http://www.ndpgroup.com.au/wireless/NodeGHO/index.htm

Here for some Stumbler results at various locations.
http://www.ndpgroup.com.au/wireless/NodeGHO/TestData.htm

We expect the realistic range (whilst maintaining decent performance) for
the average setup to be up to around 30km.

Thanks to the following for helping us get this AP off the ground:
-Justin Crisp for negotiating access to the site, his RF installation
expertise/equipment, heliax cable and misc mounting hardware
-Karl Enright from Interway Communications (http://www.interway.com.au) for
supplying the Longreach amplifier.
-NDP Group (http://www.ndpgroup.com.au) for financing the Avaya AP3 and
cards.
- And to the site owner, who is a dentist, so we cant show his face on TV.

Happy Stumbling

Darren Dreis
Vice President
Melbourne Wireless Inc.